Ps 91 (NKJV)

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the perilous pestilence.4 He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day,6 nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

We Prepare the Way

We Prepare the Way



Last night at our Wednesday night service, we sang this song. It's not a new one for our congregation, but it touched me in new way after reading about some disturbing new trends in Christian fiction.

In writing this, I might sound like an old woman, and I suppose some may still consider me old, but I don't think I am. I don't think age really has much to do with it. I think it has everything to do with compromise.

What am I talking about?

Cursing, cussing, foul language.

Unfortunately, the trend in "Christian" fiction is rolling toward accepting what have long been held as dirty words in its novels.

I grew up in a house where the use of those words (ALL of them) was common. So, yes, the words do occasionally slip out of my mouth in a fit of anger or frustration, but I will NEVER write them in a story I want the world to read. I want them to see Jesus in me. I don't want them to see me, or a reflection of themselves.

Paul, in Romans 12, that we are not to be conformed to this world.

Conformed, according to dictionary.com means

1.to act in accordance or harmony; comply (usually followedby to ): to conform to rules.
2.to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes,practices, etc., of society or a group: One has to conform in order to succeed in this company.
3.to be or become similar in form, nature, or character.
4.to be in harmony or accord.
5.to comply with the usages of an established church,especially the Church of England.

I believe in allowing these coarse words to come from our mouths, or our fingertips, is conforming/compromising. We are moving further and further from God's ways in an effort to win the lost.

But why should the lost follow us, as Christians, when we speak and behave in the same manner they do?

If they aren't seeing a difference in our behavior, if we aren't showing them Jesus, why should they change?

What's the point?

We're here to Prepare the Way. We're here to guide the lost to Jesus. Are we falling down on the job or are we following them instead?

I'll stop with a verse that keeps coming to mind. Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." (NKJV)

What do you think? Should cursing be accepted in Christian circles, in our everyday language, in the books we read?

Blessings,
Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you have been blessed by my blog. Thank you for your comments.