Ps 91 (NKJV)

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the perilous pestilence.4 He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day,6 nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Letter "L" - Lightning

Sunset before the storm
I know, I know. A weird topic, right? But lately the storms here in Alabama have been both beautiful and destructive.


Yesterday I was on my way home from running errands and got caught in a storm. Several hundred yards in front of me a lightning bolt struck a telephone pole. A ball of light formed and then there were fireworks. It was amazing and frightening.
 

I looked up lightning at Wikipedia. It says that lightning can travel at speeds of 140,000 mph (220,000 km/h) and can be as hot as 54,000 degrees F (30,000 degrees C).
 

These pictures of cloud to cloud lightning were taken from the safety of my back patio last night. I'm getting better at my photography.  :) 











5 comments:

  1. Wow! The energy in lightning is amazing! You did a great job with those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shots! I love it. Sometimes we see bright 'fireworks' like that, out in my end of the country. Great topic for this week! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful pictures! I'm no photographer, but I understand catching lightning that way is pretty hard! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first I'm thoroughly impressed with your photos! Love to take storm pics.

    Second, I'm just flat-out jealous! I live in a very dry, very brown North Texas. Nuf said.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have been blessed by my blog. Thank you for your comments.