Ps 91 (NKJV)

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the perilous pestilence.4 He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day,6 nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Have You Ever Contemplated Suicide?

The movie It's a Wonderful Life comes to mind. George Bailey thinks about it, though I forget exactly why he doesn't jump from the bridge.

Have YOU ever contemplated suicide?
What I felt like on the inside

I have, years and years ago when I was a teenager. Life was hard and I didn't think anyone cared. My mother and father were separated, I'd recently been dumped by a boyfriend, and because of my sin, I didn't think God could love me anymore.

I'm so thankful I didn't follow through and make an attempt on my own life.

Why didn't I?

Well, in my young mind, I viewed suicide was an unpardonable sin. I mean, really, how can you ask for forgiveness for murder when you're dead? Wrong thinking or not, it kept me from taking my own life when that life became too hard to face.

One day, a few months into my depression, my pastor pointed out a verse to me. I have to look up the exact location, but I remember the words..."As far as the east is from the west, so far has he [God] removed our transgressions from us." It's in Psalms, 105:12, I think. Hold up...let me look. Nope, missed it by a few chapters. It's Psalms 103:12.

Washed clean, white as snow
Anyway, that verse allowed me to see that God no longer remembered my sins once I confessed and asked for forgiveness. Those sins have been removed. Once again I could feel God's love. It had never left me; He always loves us even in our sin. But I needed to accept His love.

It didn't happen overnight. There were still times when life overwhelmed me, but I learned to go to God with my struggles.

Suicide is not the answer to your problems--no matter how you may feel. Even if the people in your life disappoint you--and they will at some point--God's love NEVER fails. He will always provide someone to be your rock, but you have to be willing to accept the help.

I am not a counselor, doctor, psychologist, or a trained professional in any field that deals with people contemplating suicide. Today I'm a mom, and a wanna-be author/speaker, but I am also a person who's been there.

If you are contemplating suicide, don't give up. PLEASE. 1-800-273-8255 is the national suicide hotline number. Someone there can help you. 

God made you for a purpose. Don't give up before you've fulfilled all that He has for you.

Father, God, I don't know who this is supposed to reach today, but I pray for every hurting person that reads this post, no matter how they came upon it. You sent Jesus to heal the brokenhearted and to set the captives free, and I ask now in His precious name that you would heal and set free the one reading these words. Thank you for all you do for us. In Jesus name, Amen.

I'm praying for you,
Ginger

2 comments:

  1. Praying your honest handling of this very difficult topic will touch the searching hearts. Yes, I thought about suicide--not proud of it, but thankful there were those who stood in the gap for me.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have been blessed by my blog. Thank you for your comments.