Lightning flashes, and in milliseconds or sometimes minutes, boom, thunder rolls across the sky.
Today in service we sang about storms, and how Jesus is Lord of all, even in the midst of life's worst storms.
This is Hillsong singing the song I'm speaking of, Cornerstone.
When Darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil
Even when it feels like we're being tossed around, if we are a child of God, He will be our anchor. He'll be there to hold us steady. And as my pastor so eloquently put it, "Sometimes we're only a few feet from being out of the storm." We just have to hold on.
And just like with a storm, you can't wait until you're in the midst of trials to prepare. All the preparations need to be made beforehand.
What would you need in the midst of a natural storm?
- a safe place/shelter
- flashlights and/or candles
- radio for weather, and news updates
- batteries for above
- food that doesn't need fixing
- water for drinking and other necessities :)
What would you need in the midst of spiritual storms?
- a safe place/shelter - Psalm 91:4, "He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge...."
- light to brighten the path - Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path."
- Scripture - verses memorized come to mind in times like these - Proverbs 7:1-3, "My son, keep my words, and treasure my commands within you. Keep my commands and live, and my law as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.
- friends who will pray and come alongside you with support - Mark 2:2-5, "Soon the house where he was staying was so packed with visitors that there was no more room, even outside the door. While he was preaching God’s word to them, four men arrived carrying a paralyzed man on a mat. They couldn’t bring him to Jesus because of the crowd, so they dug a hole through the roof above his head. Then they lowered the man on his mat, right down in front of Jesus. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, 'My child, your sins are forgiven.'"
We've all had storms in our lives. Can you name some things I've missed?
If you're in the midst of a storm, I would love to pray with you. My e-mail is at the upper left hand side of this post, just below my picture. Click on it and tell me how I can pray with you, or you can post it in the comments below.