Ps 91 (NKJV)

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the perilous pestilence.4 He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day,6 nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Teacher



My Teacher


From week to week I don't know what I'm going to share about here on Thursdays. Today's post came to me this morning as I was having my quiet time.

I read 1 Corinthians 10. I felt led to tell you about it today.

Verse 6 says, "Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted."

What things? The next few verses list them for us.
  • vs 7: do not become idolaters
  • vs 8: do not commit sexual immorality
  • vs 9: do not tempt Christ
  • vs 10: do not complain
Those verses also list the consequences the Israelites faced. Since Paul tells us twice that these were written to be our examples of things not to do AND listed the consequence, I think we need to heed what the Lord was doing.

  • vs 7: if you go to Exodus 32, you find that God was so angry with the people, He wanted to destroy them all. Only Moses' pleading kept it from happening.
  • vs 8: 23,000 fell by plague (Numbers 25)
  • vs 9: destroyed by serpents (Number 21)
  • vs 10: destroyed by the destroyer; a plague that killed 14,700 people (Numbers 16)
"But God..." Those two lovely words make my heart swell. In His infinite mercy, God provides an escape.

Let's read verses 12 and 13, " Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." (bold added for emphasis) Hallelujah!

Then later in this chapter there are two other admonitions.

Verse 24, "Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being." 

Ohh, that's sometimes a hard thing. Let's be honest, we all want to be selfish more often than we should. Want something harder? Read it in the Amplified Version, "Let no one then seek his own good and advantage and profit, but [rather] each one of the other [let him seek the welfare of his neighbor]." Reminds me of the New Testament church in Acts. They sold all of their belongings and gave to those who had need, taking no thought of their own WANTS.

I'm going to stop there and let you think about that for a moment....(Take this time to meditate and let the Holy Spirit teach you something new.)

Moving on.

Verse 31, "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

This one seems easier, but is it truly? When I'm writing this blog or a novel or doing something as simple as making dinner, am I doing it for praise for my accomplishments or for the glory and honor of God? OUCH!

God help us all to do for others first and do it for Your glory and not for our own. Amen.

What has God been teaching you lately?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, great questions! Thanks for pushing me today. It's a fine line in this world, isn't it? We're groomed to want approval from those around us, yet that's not why God created us. Let me always point back to God, not me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    It is a fine line and one I cross way too often. It pushed me too. Still is, in fact.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have been blessed by my blog. Thank you for your comments.