Ps 91 (NKJV)

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the perilous pestilence.4 He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day,6 nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Q is for...

Ordinary Lives. From a 2 z 4 u & me



Quiet

As you know I'm a homeschool mom with seven children. Although my two oldest are gone from home a great deal of the time, I still have five at home making a lot of noise - even when they're trying to be Quiet.

If I want Quiet, they have to leave or I do.  :-) It's usually me, since they don't know how to drive (and even if they did, it wouldn't be safe).


Now you have to understand something about me...I was the youngest of three and the only girl. The brother closest to me is fourteen years older. I like to say I was almost an only child. I spent a great deal of my time alone. I LIKE QUIET. I NEED quiet to rejuvenate. It's just who I am.

So many times, like this coming Thursday (I have to plan it), I will take a few hours away for myself. Sometimes I will shop, but I'm not much into "retail therapy." Most times I will go sit in our local BBQ restaurant (where my eldest son works - yeah, Lawler's) and work on my book. It doesn't have to been long - a couple of hours - and I'm good to go for another couple of weeks.

What do you do to have Quiet?

10 comments:

  1. Ah, we have a lot in common. I was also the youngest by many years and also *need* quiet and time to myself. My favorite place to go for quiet time away from the house is a lovely combination coffee shop / small Christian bookstore run by a local church group. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live alone, but it's not that quiet here! Just the sounds from city life, and my two cats make it noisy at times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at an empty nest spot in my life now. It's way too quiet for me. My husband's in harvest mode and working very late hours so I'm a harvest widow. I'm in way too quiet a house. Want to trade for a bit? Maybe I would appreciate the quiet a little bit more:)

    Except I work in a crazy crazy environment so the first few hours I'm home, I do relish it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love activity and action, but I need my quiet time, too. I'm known to go tote my book or laptop off to another room to get my quiet so I can focus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally relate. I'm also the youngest with three older brothers.
    I CRAVE my quiet time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary. At one point I had 5 homeschoolers (4 of my own and a spare, now my son-in-law). I'm down to 1, but between him and the dogs, and the 2 boys still in and out with all their friends, quiet is something I crave as well. I bought a pair of earplugs and use them frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find quiet time at the coffee shop, which is where I go to do my writing. During the spring/summer months, I love sitting outside in the mornings with my coffee and God's Word, soaking up the quiet of nature. So therapeutic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Thursday. I hope you found your quite place.
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Diana, but no, not yet. And it doesn't look like it's going to happen today. :)

    My shopping list increased by manifold proportions and so I will be running around, instead of having a leisurely shopping trip. *sigh*

    At least I get next week (in St. Louis) without my children. I'll have fellow writers and hopefully some new friends and I get to meet Patty Wysong in person. yippee!!!

    If you see me - I'll probably be the one in the corner watching everyone with a terrified look on my face - come say, "Hi."

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is about the perfect Q--QUIET. What a treasure that is!! For me what works is a trip to town by myself. And if I'm desperate (or need to concentrate) earbuds with Mozart or some thinking music works okay. =]

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have been blessed by my blog. Thank you for your comments.